Responsible approach to gaming
Gaming, if strictly regulated and fair, is an entertaining and unwinding pastime. However, for a small percentage of players, gaming can become the main focus in their life leading to numerous problems.
An overwhelming majority of people play within their means, but for some, gaming can become a passion that spirals out of control, raising large concern in terms of responsible gaming.
As one of the leading manufacturers of gaming equipment and providers of services for entertainment purposes, the Novomatic Group recognizes that problem gaming is a very real, legitimate societal issue that can affect anyone of any age, income, gender or race, at anytime. To ignore the potential dangers of gaming is to disregard both present and future; therefore it is our firm belief that all stakeholders should take an incumbent approach to the problem and also to the issue of underage gaming in the industry.
The Novomatic Group pro-actively promotes responsible gaming to our employees, our customers and the public at large and also collaborates with those agencies and programmes devoted to researching, educating, preventing and treating problem gaming. As a group, we have taken numerous steps to provide the most secure technology that maintains the integrity of gaming while still offering the most authentic player experience.
Gaming addiction prevention
Social responsibility is integral to our philosophy. Our Corporate Responsible Gaming Programme reflects that commitment as we strive to deliver operational excellence in every corner of the organisation. Guided by a relentless focus on developing the most innovative and profitable gaming experiences, the Novomatic Group works hand-in-hand with key stakeholders to ensure that vulnerable members of the population are protected to the best of its abilities.
All long term strategies and short-term actions are moulded by a set of core values that are shared by our stakeholders: Honesty, fairness, transparency, responsibility, respect and citizenship on all levels of our operations. The Novomatic Group therefore take the necessary measures in alignment with its core values to prevent facets of gaming that negatively affect its communities including compulsive and underage gaming. This is done not just by promoting awareness in this most critical area but also by delivering technologically advanced gaming products, services and solutions that consistently produce superior results in the early detection and measurement of compulsive gaming.
The Novomatic Group constantly seeks to shape and lead markets by actively participating, executing and implementing the following fully certified Responsible Gaming Awareness Programme:
• The provision of knowledgeable and fully trained experts who offer on-going employee training and insight into the realities of problem or pathological gaming.
• Free publication, in six different languages, of educational flyers in each and every operation that address varying topics of compulsive gaming; including contact information for various support centres where individuals can obtain anonymous or confidential gaming counseling services.
• The funding of problem gaming awareness, research and treatment programmes. Our contributions are primarily directed to the Department of Addiction Research and Treatment at the Medical University/General Hospital of Vienna which includes a nationwide helpline (0800 - 205 242) that provides professional help in the prevention and treatment of gaming addictions.
• The provision of resources for customers’ responsible gaming activities. As a prominent technology supplier to the gaming industry, the Novomatic Group continuously works towards building comprehensive gaming addiction prevention frameworks and systems that reduce the prevalence of problem and underage gaming. It strives to create healthy communities through strategic, non-profit collaboration with regional treatment organisations as well as self-help groups with a responsible gaming-related mandate. These include an addiction treatment centre in Vienna (Spielsuchthilfe Wien), Gamblers Anonymous in Lower Austria and Salzburg, (Verein Anonyme Spieler Niederösterreich/Salzburg) and a telephone helpline in Styria. In addition, the Novomatic Group actively contributes toward problem gaming research activities at the Medical University of Vienna and promotes various therapy centres of excellence which exclusively practice in addictive disorders, such as the Anton-Proksch-Institut.
• Ongoing employee participation at responsible gaming events. Our gaming employees attended for the very first time, in 2009, a responsible gaming conference that introduced world-renowned guest speakers and top experts in the field of responsible gaming practices. A Responsible Gaming Agents Training Programme continually provides a comprehensive set of standards for the prevention, intervention and treatment of problem gaming.
Slot gaming via entrance control
The Novomatic Group was the first gaming equipment manufacturer in the world that succeeded in developing an access system identifying potentially pathological and underage gamblers via an electronic system. The system maintains records of problem gaming incidences that involve staff observation and combines compulsory registration with a set of standards that should be met before patrons can have access to gaming products.
Access to a gaming area can only be obtained through a high-tech turnstile via a valid, membership chip card, Novomatic’s ‘NOVOCARD’. This card is personalised and can only be collected after registering with an official identity document. Players who show symptoms of pathological gaming behaviour are observed over a three-phase period according to a traffic-light system and are fully informed of their risks. If these measures do not succeed, a general ban can be imposed on the player and his NOVOCARD can be deactivated. Gaming bans can be self-imposed too, prohibiting the individual from playing beyond his or her means.
For problem gaming self tests, or a list of problem gaming treatment providers and information on how to access help, please visit www.gluecksspielsucht.at where you will also find a links to the online help of the Spielsuchthilfe Wien
International Responsible Gaming
The global legal framework for gaming is a complicated mix of laws and regulations and varies from country to country. Our responsible gaming programmes are therefore implemented and carried out within the respective jurisdiction. We believe that responsible gaming is a shared and continuous commitment throughout our cooperation.
In some countries we participate in existing responsible gaming awareness initiatives while in others we have developed and implemented our own Responsible Gaming Awareness Programme, cooperating with selected partners to create an exemplary network of experienced industry helpers. . The basic requirement in all international operators is that our employees have a basic understanding of how pathological gaming behavior arises and how it can be recognized. This is a Group standard, regardless of the jurisdiction in question. In all operation markets, therefore, employees are provided with basic training. The Novomatic Group has a responsible gaming culture characterized by continuous improvement, a readiness to learn from others and a determination to adopt best practices from around the world.
In Croatia and Serbia, for example, we collaborate with the best known experts and top medical specialists in the field of addiction and pathological gaming, executing a responsible gaming programme in cooperation with exclusive partners. We have installed toll-free helpline facilities and actively contributed to gaming addiction education through free information materials as well as an employee training curriculum to provide a responsible gaming environment. Support groups for family members of gaming addicts are encouraged to help them understand the impact of addiction on their lives.
With the philosophy that gaming can be an enjoyable form of entertainment, as long as it is not taken to extremes, the Novomatic Group takes a proactive approach to responsible gaming with its all-encompassing Responsible Gaming Programme.
If you have questions about our Responsible Gaming Programme, please feel free to contact us at
* Due to varying provincial regulations this system is currently applicable in Lower Austria only.